Thursday, January 15, 2015

Adventures in Postcrossing #4

The goal of Postcrossing is to connect the world via real mail, by allowing you to exchange postcards with other random members around the world.

Before I say anything else, be warned - this is a picture-heavy post! All right, three photos, but typically one will do. Courtesy to my December vacation and the fact that a decent amount of cards (at least considering that I just recently jumped on the card-writing-wagon again, with only a maximum of ten postcards travelling at a time) found their way into my mailbox during the past two months, I simply couldn't cram them all in one photo as I neither have enough space (aka small and charmingly cluttered apartment) to do so, nor would anyone be able to appreciate the individual cards if they were all so tiny in the picture. 

That being said, let's feast our eyes on the massive Postcrossing haul. As you can see, the designs are wonderfully varied and apparently the note that I like tea-time didn't go unnoticed, so those are probably my secret favorites this time. Now where did they all come from? Belarus, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, Russia, Slovenia, Taiwan, Ukraine, the UK and the USA. No super exotic places as far as Postcrossing stats of all countries suggest, yet I'm hopeful to one day hold a card in my hands with a 3- or 4-digit ID* written on it - that'd be majorly cool!




*Germany is already in the 7-digit zone with almost 3,5 million cards sent and Austria, in comparison, has 6-digit IDs slowly working its way up to 200.000 (so in a way, getting a card from me is maybe not quite exotic, but definitely special)

Are you a snail-mail enthusiast yourself or maybe even part of the Postcrossing community? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. 3 or 4 digit means what exactly? ( example of teh country in that category?) and i do think some of the country you received something from as exotic in teh sense that i don't think i ever received something fromthem ( or don't know anyone living there)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This refers to the ID-number you have to write on every card you send. The more cards have been sent from a particular country the higher the number will be, eg Austria has 6-digit IDs so a typical ID for my country will look like this AT-207898 (this is an actual card I sent). And countries with smaller numbers of sent cards are what I call "exotic" as those are less likely to receive compared to other countries. So for example a card from Liechtenstein or Nepal are equally "exotic" as there aren't that many members thus not that many cards get sent.

      Delete
    2. oki, thanks for teh explanation

      Delete