Saturday, December 13, 2014

Adventures in Postcrossing #3

The goal of Postcrossing is to connect the world via real mail, by allowing you to exchange postcards with other random members around the world.

Time for a little confession. This time I scheduled the monthly post as, for a change, it's not a whole lotta postcards travelling but yours truly. Obviously this means I won't be able to present you all the cards that arrived during the past few weeks, but I'll catch up next time. As not to bore you and knowing fully well how everyone likes to feast their eyes on pretty pictures I thought I'd share with you the second most important thing of sending postcards. It goes without saying, but first you need the card. Then you need the stamp. All followed by some not-to-be-bragged-about aka bloody awful penmanship. Plus a trip to the nearest mailbox.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves now and enjoy some of the stamps I recently purchased. Most are special issue stamps and while I've been wondering at first why there only seem to be such stamps available for Europe I only found the ones for sending mail overseas after sending off the order. *drops head on desk*. Well, there is always a next time!

The pink ones showing St. Stephen's Cathedral and the Viennese Ferris Wheel are standard issue stamps for Europe and International. Personally I'm not too happy about the modern depiction of these famous sites, but oh well. And then there are several special issue stamps, which traditionally seem to be commemorating various historical events or simply present something typical Austrian (yes, I own a Dirndl too, more of a modern style though). My personal favorite is probably the one showcasing Josef Madersperger, one of the inventors of the sewing machine. Crafty much? I think so too.

How do you like these stamps from Austria? Are stamps something you care about or notice when receiving a postcard or letter? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. since my mother sellstamp ido look at those i receive but sadly i also know that too cute stamps can be stolen and thus teh enveleppo/ card not reach it's destination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I've heard of before - mail disappearing because of stamps - though luckily it has never happened to me when I used a special issue stamp (maybe they simply aren't alluring enough). BTW I always enjoy looking at the ones you use as well (and you do choose pretty ones all the time). I guess I generally pay more attention now that I've taken up Postcrossing again.

      Delete
  2. Lovely stamps! I always look at the stamps when I get mail (but that's probably because as an artist I'm always interested in seeing the art on the stamps)! By the way, I've tagged you for the Sisterhood of the World Blogger Award, I hope you can get a chance to do it :) http://watercolorwhimsy.blogspot.com/2014/12/sisterhood-of-world-blogger-award-aka_18.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only natural that, being an artist, you'd look at design through different eyes. Dabbling with photography myself I usually focus a lot more on the other side of a postcard unless a particular stamp manages to catch my attention. With Postcrossing many people use special stamps, so I find myself appreciate those more with each card I receive.

      P.S.: Thanks for the nomination! :-)

      Delete