Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Etsy Venture - Three months and counting ...

I opened my shop roughly three months ago and I think this qualifies for a little look back on what happened during that time, don't ya think?

Sales - None. All right, I had been kinda hoping to have my first sale in the first three months, but oh well. I read on the Etsy forums how low sales have generally been this spring, plus I have this inkling that digital downloads aren't all the rage (yet). Come on folks - it's way cheaper to buy the file and print a whole stack of whatnot's on your own printer or through an online printing service than purchasing one measly print which probably gets bent during shipping, not to mention sky high postage costs. Anyway, I digress.

Views - Could be better. Up until now I had a total of 790 views which, if people in the forums can be trusted, isn't exactly a whole lot. And nope, the ad spots on various blogs haven't really helped much in that regard either. Still, I refuse to believe that my photos are to blame, plus I am constantly working on my tags too.

Favorites - Not bad (I think). I got 26 shop favorites and 65 listing favorites so far which I find pretty neat. Now if only they translated into sales, hmmm. Fun fact - the most popular search term that leads people to my shop is ... juke box! And in case you haven't noticed by now, I do not sell juke boxes.

Promotion - I need to do more. Yes, I've got a few ad spots, but I think ultimately I will have to get my foot into popular blogs, do guest posts and get featured, thus get noticed by more people. Maybe doing monthly giveaways for one of my digital downloads might be a good idea as well.

All right, that about sums it up for now! Here's to the next three months!

6 comments:

  1. i hope it will get better for you! my blog isn't very popular yet so it can't help a lot but still i wouldn't mind to help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I've still got a lot to learn about Etsy, but that's part of the fun and challenge of this venture.

      Delete
  2. It's hard when you first get started. And yes sales are slow right now. Join one of the promotion teams. We Have Your Back is a really great team to join. They are friendly, and they do lots of little things to help you out.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great advice, thanks so much! I have joined a few teams already, but those are more of a general nature, so ...

      Delete
  3. Ok- I'm going to take care of this problem. I have been meaning to anyway, but life keeps getting in the way.

    I want you to experience the thrill of your first sale. So that when you hit the one year mark, you can sit there and think 'if only these people favoriting would buy!' (Yes, sales are slow in mine too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seriously deserve a ginormous hug, Amy! *doing a happy dance*

      Delete