Sunday, March 24, 2013

Snap Happy - The person behind the camera ...


Yep, that'd be me and my camera! Or rather, me behind my camera, doing one of those mirror reflection self portraits, topped off by a wee bit of editing to give it a more interesting look.

So, I guess it's time to introduce the person behind the camera to you and what better way than presenting a list of things you did not yet know about me (or my camera, for that matter). Obviously I'll take the photographic approach here, because who cares about the names of my pets anyway (actually I don't have any pets, but let's not digress).

1. I still own what today would be called a vintage camera which I took along on a skiing trip from school back in the days. There's still the last roll of film inside, but I honestly don't remember why I never got it developed. Besides, after so many years, ahem, decades, it's a nice idea to think of the film as something like a time capsule which one day my pets will inherit. Oh yeah ... I forgot, I don't have any pets. My bad.

2. While the camera mentioned above belonged to my parents, I received my very first camera as a present when I finished high school. It was a Canon which even had two different zoom settings, imagine! It now sits next to the vintage camera, though I did get the last roll of film from that one developed. Oddly enough I don't recall what was on it. Probably vacation snapshots.

3. It took a long time before I even owned a digital camera, a cute little Kodak Easyshare, which to this day I like to keep in my purse, because you never know when you might stumble upon a snap-worthy motif. That one was a birthday present back in 2007. Do you see a pattern here? That's right, I never seem to buy my own camera.

4. Which brings me to yet another digital pocket camera, a shiny new and gorgeous blue Lumix camera, which I happened to win in a sweepstake almost two years ago. Believe it or not, it still sits in its box untouched.

5. Only a few weeks later, which also kinda explains why I never used the camera I won, I received my treasured Nikon D3100 as a present from my Mom. Despite playing around with it for so long now, I still discover new things about that camera, and even more so, I am learning so much about photography each day. It might be a drag to carry this baby around, after all it's not exactly a lightweight, but the pain it has caused my upper arms and neck muscles is totally worth it.

I just realized I told you more about my history in cameras than about the finger that's responsible for those moments frozen in time. Well, that finger and/or the person attached to it will certainly spill some more photographic beans in the blog posts to come, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment