Thursday, February 21, 2013

Yarn Tales - I'm the one they call the knitter!

Last year I decided to take up knitting again which surprised pretty much anyone who knows me, and that includes myself as well. You see, I haven't been knitting for years, or more precisely decades, and I'd lie if I claimed having fond memories of learning how to knit back in the old school days. In fact, I hated it. Period.

Fast forward to autumn 2012. Suddenly I felt this urge to knit. Now how on Earth did that happen, you might wonder? Good question. I'm not certain, but I do have a pet theory that one of my knitting friends rubbed off on me. Obviously she denies it which only makes the whole thing more suspicious. Maybe it was simply time to try myself on something different. Why not stock up on additional hobbies, right?

Of course, when I started out I had no idea where this fad might go. I might knit a row or two and come to the conclusion that I still don't like it or I could find myself enjoying knitting a whole lot more than I did as a kid. Luckily it was the latter.

For starters I went on a little online shopping spree and was soon the proud owner of a whole lot of yarn and knitting needles in all sizes. Of course I could have just bought one skein of yarn and a pair of knitting needles, but I felt the more supplies the likelier it would be that I didn't opt out in the last minute. Good thinking, eh?

After I had everything I thought I needed - obviously I hadn't considered that a box for the knitting needles might be a good idea and it took me an afternoon of knitting to realize that a crochet hook would come in handy too - I was about ready to start. Well, almost.

The great thing about the internet is that you can look up anything, including learning how to ride a unicycle, tie a scarf, or in my case, how to knit. Three hours of watching YouTube videos and reading myself through various crafty websites for the rest of the weekend later I was good to go.

Obviously I started out with something simple and with the cold season approaching I figured that a loop scarf was just the thing I should knit as my first piece. This particular scarf soon became my favorite thing to knit too. Let's call it my trademark scarf!
Needed
Schachenmayr Bravo Big Yarn (100% Acrylic / 200g - 120m / 7oz - 131yds)
Size 10 needles (US size 15)
How to
That one's so simple it practically knits itself. I cast on 25 stitches then knitted away in Seed Stitch (also known as Pearl Stitch) until I used up the whole skein of yarn.
The good thing about starting with an uneven number is that you don't have to pay attention to which "side" of the scarf you're on as all rows are *Knit one, purl one; repeat from * to end.
If you prefer an even number, you start with row 1 *Knit one, purl one; repeat from * to end; then continue with row 2 *Purl one, knit one; repeat from * to end. Repeat rows 1 and 2.
Leave enough yarn so you can use it to sew the cast-on and cast-off edges of the scarf together. By the way, that is where the crochet hook comes in handy!

Result
Cozy loop scarf
30cm/12in width and 60cm/24in circumference

Stay tuned for more yarn tales or rather stories of knitting in straight rows, because I am so not trying myself on cable-knit sweaters ... not yet, anyway.

What have you been knitting lately?

2 comments:

  1. Personally I don't like loop scarves, but it's beautiful. When I started knitting after a hiatus that lasted a couple of decades, I too had to consult the internet. Very handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like loop scarves!? *gasp* Why's that? I find them great as I always end up fighting with the ends of a normal scarf so it stays put.

      Delete